Thursday 15 April 2010

Tuesday and Wednesday

Tuesday started with a visit to a local, successful business, and significant employer – TaylorMade. Sitting in the canteen we were able to meet lots of the staff, listen to the issues that concern them and answer their questions. The main areas of concern were: employment, housing, immigration and people on benefits. It was really good to have the time to just sit and talk to people about the things that affect their everyday lives. This is something that I am determined to make the time to continue to do if I am elected MP for this area.

Then the team travelled with me to the St Columb area where we visited the numerous small villages that surround the town. These small communities can often be overlooked as politicians focus on the main population centres, but I love visiting these places. They really do have a special feel to them and everyone is so friendly and welcoming – we cold have drowned in the cups of coffee we were offered.

Then we headed south where we were joined by more local supporters as we visited Fowey and Tywardreath. Farming is a big part of this area and it was good to be able to talk with local farmers. TB is such an issue but I am promised their support because as the Western Morning News said ‘The Conservatives will put the 'F' back in farming’.

Wednesday was another very full day. We started in the Mevagissey area and worked our way back towards St Austell, calling in on some of the beautiful hamlets such as Porthpean, Trenarren, London Apprentice and Tregorrick. These places are so rich in history and form an important part of the heritage of this part of Cornwall.

Local Precious Lives fundraiser and key member of my campaign team, Jill Trewhella, showed me the site of the new children’s hospice. It was good to see that work has begun on what will be a very special place.

Lunch was a pasty from Queenies as we took a break on the Pentewan trail. However, one woman spotted me and marched towards me with her husband in a manner which I thought meant she was going to take me to task over something . However, she simply gave me a huge hug and pledged her support.


Then it was a dash to Victoria to meet with Andrew Lansley, the Shadow Health Minister. We talked about the Conservative Health Policy. We have made the NHS our top priority and it was good to be able to talk to Andrew about the needs of Cornwall’s health care services. Cornwall is a unique place in that not only do we have to provide care for the people of the Duchy but we have to look after the influx of visitors during the holiday season.

The Conservatives have pledged to increase the NHS budget, in real terms, year on year - It is vital we get fair funding for Cornwall and I am determined to fight our cause. Cornwall has for too long missed out and we need strong voices within the government which cannot be ignored – I am determined to be one of those voices.

Andrew and I were able to compare our campaign vehicles and I think there was a bit of ‘bus envy’ going on!

Then the night was finished off with Mark and I being guests at the Mayor of Newquay’s dinner at the Great Western Hotel. It was a great event, Alec Robertson, Conservative leader of Cornwall Council was there along with lots of other local councillors and business people. It was really encouraging to have so many people come and wish me luck and pledge their support for the election.

The evening finished off with my favourite comedian Johnny Cowling providing the entertainment. Johnny soon had us all laughing and ended up with us on the dance floor – campaigning aches and pains forgotten for a while as we danced the night to a close.

Three weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment