Friday 9 April 2010

Coast to Coast

I have always known that our constituency of St Austell and Newquay was a very special and diverse place. But yesterday highlighted again for me just what a wonderful place we live in as I spent the day visiting every community in the constituency.

My day started bright and early as I visited a farm near St Dennis to assist with milking the cows. Our farmers are so important to Cornwall and it is vital we support them. If elected I have promised to do all I can to fight for them and I believe that the Conservative Party understands best the needs of our countryside and farming community.

Then it was home for a quick change, before heading off to spend the rest of the day travelling from coast to coast and back again. Starting in Newquay, my son Ben driving me and my team, we set out to visit as many communities as possible. It was a beautiful day that showed off all that this part of Cornwall has to offer.



This is the route we planned to enable us to meet new and old supporters, helpers and local people who I have worked with over the last three and a half years on local issues, concerns and campaigns.

St Dennis – Newquay Killacourt – Crantock – Quintrell Downs – Summercourt – Fraddon - Indian Queens – St Deny’s Church – St Dennis – Nanpean – Foxhole - St Stephen – High St – Trewoon – St Austell –Holmbush – Tywardreath – Golant – Fowey – Par – Carlyon Bay – Charlestown – Pentewen – Mevagissey - Portmellon – Gorran – St Ewe – Heligan – Polgooth – Sticker – Grampound – St Austell – Carluddon – Penwithick – Roche - Castle an Dinas – St Columb Major – St Mawgan – Newquay Airport - Mawgan Porth – Pentire – Newquay Harbour.

The day ended with a great gathering with the Newquay gig teams at the harbour and an opportunity to have a closer look at the newly restored gig ‘Newquay’ – the oldest wooden rowing boat in the world! I’ve been promised a row in her after the election.


The weather was incredible and the new constituency of St Austell and Newquay sparkled showing us all it has to offer in its natural environment and rich heritage.

We all know what a special place Cornwall is with our stunning coastlines and wonderful scenery but of course it is the people who make it really special. It was so good to meet so many of you. I was so encouraged by all the support I received. I really do sense there is a mood for change growing. People are coming to realise that the Lib Dems have had their chance and have failed to deliver for Cornwall. We need a strong and effective voice in Westminster that can have real influence to fight for a fair deal for Cornwall. I want to be that strong voice and with your help, and most importantly your votes, I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment